Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Can you kill yourself playing DDR?

Of course this last weekend was Thanksgiving weekend; which Lyle talked briefly about a couple posts ago. It really was a fantastic 4 day weekend. We had a lot to do and we accomplished everything we wanted to and more!

Thanksgiving itself was pretty low-key. We chilled in the morning and then headed over to my parent's house for a very nice Thanksgiving dinner. Keegan had his first taste of cranberry sauce and also enjoyed some turkey, green beans, and sweet potatoes.

Last year we went and saw a movie after dinner, but that was out this year because of Keegan. One of my coworkers told me that her family goes bowling after Thanksgiving dinner. We talked about it and decided that would be lots of fun. And guess what, it was lots of fun. Keegan sat in his booster seat and played with toys while we bowled a couple games. After that it was bedtime for Keegan and time for Lyle, me, and my parents to play some Cranium. Cranium always gets a bit competitive when we play against my parents :-)

Friday was crazy. Keegan woke up at 6am and decided that he didn't want to go back to sleep. Lyle and I realized we were out of formula. What a day to run out of formula! The good thing was that Super Target opened at 6am, the bad thing was that Super Target opened at 6am and everyone in the 3 state area was there! By 7am we were at Super Target buying formula. We cruised around the place to check and see if there were any great deals. The electronics and toy departments were crazy! We got out of there in one piece though, and headed home to feed Keegan. Keegan went down for a nap and by 10am we had packed everything we would need for a day on the town and headed over to my parent's house. We all got packed into their van, with deluxe stroller in tow, and drove downtown to commence one of our long lasting family traditions.

Every year we go downtown to see the exhibit on the top floor of Dayton's/Marshall Fields/Macy's. This year it was The Nutcracker. We stood in line for maybe 20 minutes. Keegan was very good and wanted to get up and "walk" in line. He walked holding my hand and with such determination; it was adorable. We did that for a while and then it was up on dad's (Lyle's) shoulders so that Keegan could see the exhibits. Keegan was in awe of all the lights and moving figures. He especially liked the room with the sugar plum fairies and the giant strawberries hanging from above. It was super cute to see how excited about it all he was. Afterwards we went and stood in line for pictures with Santa. The line was maybe 15 minutes long, but it was in this little shack-type room with lots of bright lights. It was hot and crowded; once again Keegan didn't care. He was smiley and excited the whole way there.

When I put Keegan in Santa's lap, Keegan just stared at Santa. Keegan looked puzzled, like he wondered who in the world this guy was. Keegan yanked on Santa's beard a bit (I held my breath hoping that he didn't unmask Santa and ruin it for all the kids); then Keegan looked at Lyle, me, and my mom and smiled his big Keegan smile. Santa gave Keegan a big shiny button that said "I meet Santa at Macy's 2007". Keegan thought the button was cool and then we were off to eat our gingerbread cookies and walk back to the car.

Keegan took a nap while we drove to Maple Grove (yes Maple Grove). We ate at the PF Chang's in Maple Grove and then piled back in the car to go to the....Albertville outlet mall. Keegan was all bundled up in his stroller while we walked around the outlet mall. Old Navy was absolutely trashed, but Carter's had some very cute baby cloths at 50% off. Gap and Banana Republic also had very nice sales going on. By about 5pm it was getting dark and Keegan was (finally) starting to get a little crabby. We left the mall and went back towards home. We stopped at Chile's for dinner; Keegan ate his dinner like a champ but was *very* tired. Then back to my parent's house we went and Keegan went down to sleep. Lyle, me, and my parents played some more Cranium; we had some scores to settle from the night before.

Saturday was just as crazy as Friday. We got up at 8:00am so that we could be to Aaron and Michelle's house for Dungeons and Dragons (DnD) by 9:00am. We got home from playing DnD around 1pm and then called my parents to see if they wanted to go to the new best buy with us. After eating dinner at Outback we went to the new Blaine Best Buy. It's a very nice Best Buy. Our main reason for going there was to buy the new Wii version of "Hottest Party Dance Dance Revolution" (DDR). After getting home and putting Keegan to bed, Lyle, me, and my parents played DDR for three hours or so. The Wii version is neat because you coordinate both your hands and feet to the music. Yeah, it is about as hard as it sounds.

Sunday I woke up and I hurt. My arms hurt and my knees hurt. I tried to remember what I could have done...maybe 3 hours of DDR would do it :-) We put up all the Christmas decorations on Sunday, with Keegan providing some assistance that could dubiously be called help. Sunday night Lyle and I played DDR for another couple hours. Monday night Lyle and I played DDR for another couple hours. Maybe we are addicted? Maybe if we play it enough my knees and arms will stop hurting? Could DDR be my ticket to the strong, buff body I've always wanted? I doubt it. Still I seem to be slightly better at it than Lyle...so there is that.

Keegan has also been impressing us a lot lately. Lyle mentioned Keegan has his first tooth coming in. (Please Keegan don't do anything to that tooth until next year, that's when your dental coverage kicks in!) Then last night Keegan let go of the kitchen cabinet and walked 8, yes count them 8, steps across the kitchen towards me. We were so excited! Keegan was excited too; he had a giant grin on his face the whole time. Anyway, so far it's been very exciting to have Keegan through the holidays. I can't wait for Christmas. Of course, I always get really excited for Christmas, but this year I can be double excited since Keegan is here!

Okay, well back to work. Hopefully we'll have some time after Keegan goes to bed tonight to hit the DDR again. Lyle and I really are getting better. Although I think we both wish there was a middle finger action you could do when the DJ pisses you off. Nothing like a comment blaring through your Wiimote speaker "You call that dancing!!!???" after you've missed a string of moves to really piss you off. The crowd boos when you are doing bad too; no pressure. As Lyle so eloquently put it to the DDR DJ "Let's see you dance with this Wiimote up your #@^!" Good thing Keegan is in bed while we play this.

No comments: