Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Missing my lab buddy

So this is my third day back at work full-time. Everything is going great with daycare (besides Keegan bringing home colds) and with my mom watching Keegan. Being back to work full-time is actually strangely relaxing; at least while I am at work. It's quit here, we don't have any really stressful projects going on right now, and I have a lot of time to myself :-) Unfortunately once I get home there is always a ton that needs to be done. Lyle and I have been trying to set aside the from the time we get home (4pm) until Keegan goes to bed (7pm) as Keegan time. Except for making dinner; it's all about Keegan. We take him on walks and go swinging and read books and play. So far it is working out okay but my homework is starting to pile up so I am going to have to take maybe tonight or tomorrow night and finish all that up.

The only strange thing about being back to work is that when I went into my darkroom something seemed wrong. I felt a little bit sad. I wasn't sure why I would feel sad in my darkroom since I love working in the lab. I stood there and tried to figure out why I was sad and realized I was actually kind of lonely. This was strange because I always work by myself in the darkroom. Then I realized that the last few months before I had Keegan I wasn't working in my darkroom by myself. I was working in there very pregnant and had Keegan for company. I guess I was missing the running dialog I used to have with him while I worked in my darkroom. I would explain to him what I was doing and why we had to wait to eat lunch because I just needed to finish up this one experiment and could he please stop kicking me in the ribs just for a minute so I could actually reach the top shelf in the darkroom. Other than that being back in the lab is great. And...after doing the work 8 months pregnant everything seems so easy to do. Dropping a cup on the ground isn't a big deal and reaching the top shelf in the darkroom isn't an oddessy. It's also nice not to have the organic vapor respirator on every second I am in the lab. Man that respirator makes you hot and sweaty. I also like not having to worry quit as much about the chemical exposure in general. When I was pregnant I was always a bit worried about what even a little whiff of solvent would do to Keegan.

Anyway, I just had a quick break during some lab work while I was waiting for stuff to stir...so I should get back to it.

No comments: