Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Duck Duck Goose?

So I picked up Keegan from daycare yesterday, and the teacher said he had a good day, and praised how smart he was, because he has started talking up a storm. The teacher mentioned that Keegan was saying "done" (which he does a lot at home when done eating!!) and "duck", something he has not done at home. So I was wondering what else he has been saying when we turn our backs..... Anyway Keegan has been saying hi for quite a while, and sometimes does "kitty". To that list he has started saying "bye", and as Karissa mentioned dog is coming along too. Man it is amazing to think just a couple weeks ago we were lucky if he would say hi. Now the the vocabulary is growing much faster than I expected. I mean I know most kids start talking right around a year or a little earlier, but I have never really thought about it until it was my own son that was starting to talk. Of course that means soon he probably won't ever be quiet... hopefully that doesn't happen on the plane........

To finish up the story, I dropped Keegan off at daycare this morning, and talked to a different teacher who mentioned that he and two other kids were walking around all day yesterday saying "duck". I knew one of the other kids and Keegan were talking to each other before as Karissa walked in when the two of them just kept saying "hi" to one another and then smiling. If only the video camera had been there for that.

Speaking of the video camera, I feel bad because I haven't been getting the video camera out much lately. Actually I still have to convert the video from Christmas, and Keegans 1 year birthday. I feel like I am so far behind, but I guess that is the way it goes when you have a little one in the house.

Ok now kind of a sad story... not sad as in boo hoo, but sad as in we are sad people. Keegan got a belated present from some friends who came over for D&D on Sunday. It is a worm that has all the letters of the alphabet on it. If you turn a switch in the front, it will switch from saying the letter to sounding it out phonetically or telling you what color the foot is etc. We had seen this toy over at some other friends house and had played with it for a while because it was kind of funny. Of course the first thing that I do is try to sound something out phonetically that would make a naughty word. Don't ask me why, I just had to do it. There is some part of my inner kid that said I just had to do it. Of course I justified it by saying I want to make sure there is a safety on the toy, but in reality I am sure I am just a sick kid. Well to make a long story short, there are some words that when you sound them out it will not let you it will giggle and say that tickles. At least that is the way that our friends worm works... Well ours on the other hand, does it kind of the same way, it will let you get half way through and then giggle and say that tickles, but then it still pronounces the letter.

So what was the point of putting the safety in there if you are still going to pronounce it? I just don't really get it. Of course they also did not get all the words ;). It made me wonder if kids will start to try combinations to find out what words are restricted so they actually know which words are prohibited? I know when I was a kid I would spend hours doing something I wasn't suppose to do just because I wasn't suppose to do it. All kids spend time like that. I don't think they do it to be mean, they just want to know why they are not suppose to do a thing. Well I guess I will just have to watch Keegan with this toy to make sure that he doesn't spend hours and hours doing what I would have done as a kid :). Not that I will be able to stop him anyway, so in reality it probably won't matter in the long run.

No comments: