Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thunder and Lightening Very Very Frightening....

Last night we had a doosie of a storm blow through. It went on for hours and had lots of very vivid lightening and booming thunder. Around 11pm the storm woke Keegan up. Lyle went in to console him and give Keegan back his nook. Shortly after Lyle came back into the bedroom Keegan started screaming in terror.

I went out then and the poor little boy was shaking and pointed at the window. Every time lightening shot across the sky he would say "Uh Oh". He was absolutely terrified of the storm. I realized that this is the first time he had been awake at night when it was storming. So I sat in the sun-room with him for awhile. Every time it would lightening I would tell him that that was lightening and every time it thundered I would say "boom!". Pretty soon Keegan was calm, no shaking, and everything it thundered he would say "boom!" with me.

I tried to put him back in his crib but he started to get scared again. So I brought him into the bedroom and set him on the bed between me and Lyle. He sat on the bed perfectly still and watched the lightening with rapt attention. Every time it would lightening he would say "woah!" and when it thundered he would yell "boom". He was very attached to me and Lyle though. When we first got into the bedroom he panicked because he couldn't see Lyle (Lyle was under the covers). He started yelling "Daddy, Daddy!" Then at one point I got up to get some water and he got concerned and said "Mama, Mama!" He wanted everyone in one spot with him so that he knew we were all okay.

As time went on Keegan finally propped himself up on a pillow and quietly laid between us watching the storm out the window. After awhile the storm calmed down. Then Keegan got restless and pulled Lyle's hair and tried to steal the remote to play with it. Then we knew it was time for Keegan to go back to his crib. Keegan went right to sleep after the storm went through.

It was interesting to realize how scary the storm was for Keegan. I guess it makes sense, I mean think about it, you wake up in the middle of the night and lights are flashing and big booms are sounding. It would scare the stuffing out of you; especially if you couldn't figure out what was going on. Hopefully Keegan will be calmer about the next storm.

1 comment:

Sistertex said...

I thought about you all last night as it was going on. VERY loud booms to be sure, even made me jump a couple of times. I have been wondering how the Keester did with the storm. When we have gone for walks he didn't like the sound of the bangs coming from ladders and hammers of construction workers. Poor kiddo...that was a heck of a vivid storm for him as a 'first' so to speak. Sounds like you did a great job with him though...him and his booms! :)