Tuesday, August 12, 2008

18 month check up

Keegan had his 18 month checkup last week. He ended up being 24 lbs 6oz and 32.5 inches tall. That makes him 30% for weight and 50% for height; so basically he is still trending towards the tall and skinny build :-)

The appointment went okay. Keegan decided to sleep in later than normal, then he didn't want to take a nap before we went to the doctor's office. By the time we got to the doctor's office he was getting tired. He was pretty good, except that at one point I took a travel pack of wipes away from him (that he had found in my purse) and he absolutely lost his mind. He threw himself on the floor kicking and screaming. Of course, right then the nurse walked in. I was trying not to laugh at Keegan because he was just being *so* dramatic about it all. The nurse laughed and said "Oh, my there's just so much drama going on at this age". I am convinced we are now starting the terrible 2s.

Keegan and I also got into a disagreement when I was brushing his teeth last night. Usually I brush them and then he brushes them. This time Keegan jerked the toothbrush out of my hand and said "Mine!". Then he got upset when I tried to take it back. Finally I explained that this is Mama *and* Keegan's toothbrush and we need to share it. He was okay with that and let me brush his teeth (as long as we took turns at it). Keegan has really been grasping what things in the house belong to what people. He is constantly asking "Mama's ___" or "Dada's ___" or Mine?

On Friday Keegan helps me fold the wash, as such he is learning what cloths belong to which people. For example, Dada's shirts and Mama's pants, etc. Well on Friday we were grocery shopping at Target and we were going past the intimates section. Keegan got all excited and pointed at a bra, he then shouted "MAMA's!" He looked at me to make sure that he had got it right. I was like, "Yes Keegan, mama wears those." I was again trying not to laugh and trying not to be embarrassed...I supposed everyone knows I wear a bra but still... We then had to go down the whole aisle with Keegan pointing at each bra and saying "mama's, mama's, mama's". You get the idea, at least he didn't shout it again after the first time...

The other neat thing Keegan did on Sunday was that he said his first sentence. We had just gotten out of the car to do some hiking at Bunker Hills Park. Keegan grabbed my hand, turned to point at the car, and then very clearly said "That's mama's car!" I was pretty impressed :-)

So this talking thing is going pretty good. I am also amazed at how much the boy understands. He can go and get his shoes for us, help with basic chores around the house, and follow even slightly complicated instructions. It's cool to watch him learn all of this stuff!

No comments: