Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Uhh Huston we have a problem

So Keegan gets back from vacation, and goes to daycare last Friday. Of course he was unhappy to change from being with us and having a good time in Florida all week to suddenly going back to daycare where there is such a limited environment. That makes some sense. When we got his daily report, it said he was "not himself" that day. When I asked what that meant, basically the teacher said he was crabby all day. Of course this was a new teacher again because the other teacher that was in the Infant B classroom went on maternity leave. So that is cool and all, but I wondered if she really knew what she was talking about. Anyway we chalked that one up to him being tired and cranky from the trip, and no longer having his freedoms. We figured it would be fine by Monday....

Well we were wrong, Monday came and I dropped him off like normal. Well when I set him down he just started crying, and wanted to be picked up and carried around. So I picked him up for a minute, and tried to get him to calm down, which he did in fairly quick order. But the moment I set him down, he started bawling again. So I decided I should just leave, and he would stop in a few moments. So I left, but I checked in through the window really quick on my way out. Well he was still crying up a storm. I left, and when we picked him up that night, he was happy to see us, and we got a "not himself" that day as well, with the teachers saying he was still very crabby, and wouldn't nap.

Tuesday, he spend at Grandma's house, and had a good day. Grandma said he was happy, and napped pretty well, though only took one nap instead of his normal two.

Now today, I dropped him off at daycare again. He did the same as Monday, crying and wanting to be held. I tired to get him to settle down again, but he really didn't seem to want to be there. Anyway I left him there, and went to my interview. I then get a call from Karissa saying that daycare called and wanted to know what was wrong with Keegan. I guess they said he was still really crabby, and wasn't taking naps again today. Of course we don't know what to tell them, because as far as we know nothing has changed.... but in Keegan's little mind, something must have changed. We are not sure what it is, but we have a couple of theories.

We are thinking that, since one of his buddies moved up a level (into the toddler classroom), he is bummed since he and that kid were always together when we went to pick him up. Another idea is that since he is having a development leap, he has been crabby, like he has been every time that he starts doing something new. Lately it is talking, and understanding that when we say stuff it actually means something, and is not just babble :). There are a couple of other ideas, but at this point, we are not sure what else it could be attributed to. We can only hope that he gets out of this funk soon, and becomes happier when he goes to daycare Friday, and next week.

No comments: