Monday, March 17, 2008

Fears of a 13 month old.

We discovered a couple months ago that Keegan really likes whipped cream. We are talking the real stuff here, not canned Ready Whip. We were at a Sunday brunch where I was eating a waffle with strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. Keegan wanted to try some of it, so I let him. He loved it!

Fast forward to our trip to Florida. Everyone is sitting around the table at my grandparents' house eating fresh strawberries and Ready Whip for dessert. Keegan saw the whipped cream and wanted some. I squirted some on his highchair tray. He reached for it and (of course being Ready Whip) the little pile of Ready Whip collapsed. Keegan starting crying and was really upset. We figured it was because he had a long day and was tired. We had to clean the Ready Whip off of his tray before he would calm down. Same thing happened the next day when we tried to give him some Ready Whip.

Okay now it's a couple weeks from that event and it's my dad's bday. We had chocolate cake with cherries and Ready Whip. Keegan got some cherries and a little chocolate cake. Not thinking, I squirted some Ready Whip onto his tray. He reached for it, it collapsed, and he started crying and leaning away from his tray. Once again, the crying didn't stop until my mom cleaned the Ready Whip off of his tray.

We really don't get it. I mean is our kid such a snob that he only eats "the real stuff"? Is he upset that the Ready Whip collapses? Does Ready Whip offend him somehow? We can't figure it out. For a while though I think we will have to accede to Keegan's wishes and *not* squirt Ready Whip onto his tray. Poor kid somehow we are creating trauma here...I just wish I knew how and why!

No comments: