Thursday, November 13, 2008

Paperbackswap.com

So I ran across this site while looking for a new way to get rid of my paperbacks. I have been selling some on Amazon but with all of there fees I end up making like maybe $1 a book and I have to drive it to the post office. Half.com has a bit better deal because they don't charge fees, but books don't seem to move as fast there. I ran across a really cool site called paperbackswap.com. This is such a cool idea I don't know why I didn't look for something like this a long time ago.

So here's the deal. You sign up. When you post 10 books to the site you get 2 free credits. You can use any credit to order a book. When people request a book from you, you have 5 days to accept their request and promise to mail the book out. When you accept a request you print out a book wrapper that has the address on it, wrap the book up, and take it to the post office and mail it. You pay for media mail to ship it out, but you don't pay shipping for a book that you request from someone else. When the person who requested the book gets it from you, they check that they got it and then you get a book credit. Even cooler for an extra 40 cents a book you can print the postage out online and drop the book in your mailbox for pickup. The 40 cent fee goes towards site maintenance.

So now you are thinking...fine I pay $2.20 to ship out my book and get a credit. I go to use the credit and all of the books suck and I don't want any of them. Well there is so much circulation on this site I was able to find a ton of interesting books, and that's saying something considering how many books I've already read.

But, let's say you don't find any books (out of the 3 million on there) that you want to use your credit for. Well then you look up a book that you do want and put it on your wish list. When that book is posted to the system by someone you will get an e-mail giving you 48 hours to respond that you want it...or even cooler you can set up auto-accept and when the book is available it will automatically tell the person offering it to mail the book out to you. So basically you can get any book you want for $2.20.

What if a billion people want the book you want? I am like 400 something on the wishlist for a couple of the books I want. Amazingly in 2 days I've gone up 6 places. So that means I could have that book in a few months. Most of the books I am in the 30's; some of the more popular books I am in the 100's. I posted onto the forum about this wait time and got a lot of very nice responses saying that I would probably get a lot of my wishlisted books in a month or so.

This leads me to the other thing I wasn't expecting when I signed up...that's the community on this site. These are dedicated people. So far everyone I have shipped books out to (I've shipped around 35 books out) have been super nice about saying they received the book and sent me a nice thank you note. When I have posted on the forums; the people who responded were super helpful and nice. A couple of the ladies saw I was from MN and immediately invited me onto their Buddy lists so that we buddy swap. They also have a local MN chapter that meets every so often to swap in person so that no one has to pay postage.

When you sign up you not only get to use the wish list, but there's a reminder list (for books you are thinking about requesting), a TBR list (to be read list), I books I've read list, and you can convert books between these lists. Which is useful. They have a book recommendation engine, book journaling, and book reviews. If you have an allergy to smoke or cats you can put a condition in your request asking that the book not come from a house with those conditions. The sender then has to accept your conditions to send you the book. I have been super impressed with the nice people and the slickness of the site. I've been on it about a week and have 7 books that are in route to me. I should get the first of them tomorrow.

So right now I have 18 book credits accumulated and more are pouring in as people get the books I shipped out.

The biggest problem so far has been time. It takes a lot of time to wrap up and ship out that many books. I was joking with Lyle that paperbackswap.com was going to ruin our marriage as Lyle walked past rolling his eyes cause I was packing up 10 more books :-) Oh yeah that and spending $70 in postage this last week...but it will pay off in a couple months. Usually I won't be adding 50 books at a time to their system so that is kind of a one time problem. That and right now I am obsessed with how fast my wishlist requests are moving up the list; so I am constantly tracking that.

It's a pretty neat site and if you have some books to get rid of you get a better return on them than taking them to Half Price books. I still check them all to see if they will sell for anything on Amazon, but if they are only worth 10 cents then I put them up here. If you are interested in signing up let them know I told you about it...I'll get a free book credit for it and if you buddy up maybe we can post books to each other :-) All you need to do is give them my nickname (Ophelia99) or my email address: karissae@gmail.com

Once I start getting more books I'll update on how things are going. I have just been super excited about this. It's also really cool to be able to talk with so many people that are as voracious as I am about reading. Being a 4 book a week reader with this group of people is almost boring it's so normal :-)

No comments: