Thursday, November 13, 2008

Keeping up with the Keegan

As I mentioned Keegan has been learning a lot of new words. He has been saying a lot of sentences. I mean a lot. He learns so many new things everyday; I just can't keep up. So this is my blog entry to brag about all the new things Keegan is saying and doing.

There's a lot of:
"Mama, I climbed up."
"Mama, I did it."
"Mama, I fall down."
"Kitty, get down."
"Mama's boots?"
"Mama's shoes?"
"Mama, lights on?"
"I broke it."
"I fixed it!"

and of course the new favorite...

"I love you!" Usually accompanied by a hug.

I took out my trumpet a couple of days ago for Keegan to see and we played with it some. He pushed the keys while I blew through it. Then the next day he ran out and drug the case across the room to me and said "Mama's trumpet out?" I was so surprised he could remember that they was a trumpet in there, much less the word trumpet.

Keegan has also started saying his alphabet. He can get to about E. He also knows a lot of sounds the letters make. He knows O and that is goes "ooo" and M and that it goes "mmmm". He is starting to count too. Although he has a preference for certain numbers, 5 and 9 seem to be his favorite. So he counts 1, 2, 3, 5, 9. We're working on it...

Keegan and I used to slide down the stairs and say "boom" for each step. Well now Keegan and Lyle have started saying letters for each step, "A,B", "C,D", etc. Lyle thought yesterday that we should write the letters down and tape them by the steps that they are said at. So we did. It looks a bit odd having our steps labeled with letters (2 letters per step mind you). But Keegan loved it, he ran up and down the steps pointing out letters and saying what he thought they were...he was right maybe 50% of the time :-)

Anyway, these are just a few examples of how quickly he is learning. I already thought he was picking things up pretty fast but lately the pace has been incredibly fast. He has his colors down 100%. Although his favorite has switched to green. So when you say "What color is that?" he says "green". Then you say "I know you like green but what color is it really?" And he'll say "Purple!" He's usually right the second time through, if not the first.

He has also been helping to pick out dinner some nights. Although last night he said "yeah" to so many different things that Lyle finally asked him if he wanted to eat crackers with poop on them. When Keegan enthusiastically said "Yeah!" Lyle just shook his head and decided that Keegan just wanted to eat :-)

No comments: