Monday, July 28, 2008

Watch out for that...camper?

We went camping again this weekend. This time to Father Hennipen State Park. I can't say I would really recommend the park. The electrical sites were really crowded and there isn't that much trail to hike on. We tried to take a hike out to Pope's Point but halfway down the trail we got swarmed by what I can only speculate (after looking online) were male mosquitoes. There were so many of them that you could hear the whole forest buzzing. Beside this and the really annoying people that camped across the street from us the camping trip went well.

The people across the street bear mentioning...they were really loud and they stayed up until 3am. I am really surprised the park ranger didn't have something to say to them. They also had a kid a bit older then Keegan who was a real brat. He was constantly whining and screaming and coming over to poke through the ex-pen at the dogs. His mother was constantly cutting through our campsite yelling loudly at her son. At one point I finally told her that our baby was sleeping in the camper so if she could please keep it down a bit that would be great.

The other odd thing that happened was creepy. At about 4am Sat. morning Lyle and I were woken up by a loud humming sound. It was really loud, it sounded like someone's generator had kicked in or something. A couple hours later it stopped. Then Sat night around 8pm it started up again. Having had enough of noise for one camping weekend, I took off through the woods to the other campsite to find out what the heck was making all of this noise. Well it was getting louder and then when I got out of the woods it was softer. Lyle and dad met me on the trail with the dogs (mom was back with Keegan who was sleeping). We finally figured out the noise was billions of bugs up in the trees. I kid you not there were so many of them the noise was very, very loud. When you looked up into the trees you could see black clouds of them. The noise went on for a couple hours and then stopped. It started up at 4am again and then stopped a couple hours later. It was seriously creepy. Reminded me a bit of Hitchcock's the Birds. I was waiting for them to all come down and get us.

As far as we can tell they were swarms of male mosquitoes, they never bit, and they never came down from the trees in large swarms. Still it was odd.

Lastly I'd like to talk about Keegan's ADD. Not really, but I swear toddlers have the attention span of a gnat. Keegan was walking toward the camper and then he saw the ball and hitch out of the corner of his eye. Did he stop walking? Of course not. BAM! he walked straight into my parents' camper and bumped his head. An hour later he saw my dad fill up a bucket of water and then took off running towards the water. Did he think to look at the path between him and the water? Of course not; BAM! he hits his head on the other side of their camper. Now he has two nice red bumps on his forehead.

So, now we are at home. Lyle and I are pushing the camper into the garage. Keegan is sitting in the grass reading a book. Keegan decides to come and help us push the camper...while he is reading his book. BAM! He walks right into our camper while reading his book. Now he has a big bruise in the middle of his forehead too! I swear that kid knew that I wanted to take him in on Sunday to get his 18 month pics taken. Now it will have to wait until he looses the bruises. Although maybe I should go ahead with pics...it does say something about his state of mind lately :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They were actually some sort of 'midge'. Now I can't recall specifically which 'midge' it was, but according to the park ranger, it was their 3rd hatching this summer. (So there had been other evenings like the ones we spent there). They are a breed of non-biting midge. And upon looking into it further online, remember I kept saying I was having some sort of allergy issue? Turns out that when midges are in mass like that they can cause allergic reactions. So perhaps that is what was bothering me...all those midges...Midge Mania!

Sistertex said...

Sorry didn't mean to be 'anonymous'.