Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Packing up the highchair

Early on Lyle and I decided to forgo the big expensive high chair and just get one that straps onto a chair. We got the one below and it worked really well.



It reclined, we could take it off the chair and use it normally, and we could pop the tray into the dishwasher. The biggest drawbacks to it were that I was constantly washing the cloth cover and the chair it was strapped to took a bit of a beating despite our efforts to keep it clean.

Well Keegan is getting to be a big boy now and his tray is getting too small for him. So after hearing my mom tell me that Keegan could sit at the table to eat his snacks, I thought that it was time to get rid of that high chair and go to a booster seat. We have a Fisher Price Healthy Booster seat that we use to travel with everywhere. It is awesome. I absolutely love it. We use it at the bowling alley, camping, at friends' houses, and when we have a baby visiting.



So yesterday I was trying to decide do we get Keegan a booster seat that is made to stay at home or do we use the Fisher Price seat and just take the tray off? I spent some time online looking for booster seats and came up with a new question. Does Keegan still need straps on his booster? I think he probably does at least for a few months. The booster seat I absolutely fell in love with is pictured below. It's sleek, modern, in a nice color, and looks super easy to clean, as well as very portable.



Problem is that it is kind of expensive and the straps look pretty integrated to the seat. My next choice was a Cooshee booster seat. The Cooshee looks more adaptable to other uses and doesn't have straps on it (which is a good and a bad thing). Plus it has a carrying case.



So what to do? I probably research this stuff too much and put too much thought into it... Anyway, I decided we would try Keegan at the table first to see what he thought about it. He was slightly confused at first but really seemed to enjoy eating up at the table with us. I finally got some use out of this placemat that I originally bought for traveling. I only used it traveling once and it's been stashed away in the cupboard forever. But the suction cups on it worked well on our glass table and the trough caught almost all of the food that Keegan dropped. So, I am happy that the placemat wasn't a waste after all. It is pictured below:



Anyway, dinner went really well. Keegan seemed to be proud and happy to sit up at the table. I was happy to get rid of the constantly dirty looking high chair. As for my booster seat dilemma, I think we will try this out for a week and then try Keegan in the FP booster without the straps. If he can manage without straps I'll get him the Cooshee booster; if not well we will have to see if it's worth it to fork out $50 on a ultra-modern sleek design Mutsy booster! Either way it's an exciting change!

No comments: