Thursday, January 04, 2007

Only 10 days until Keegan won't be considered premature!

So I guess the headline says it all! At least as far as I am concerned. In 10 days if I go into labor Keegan can come into the world and be treated like a full term baby. So that is great news for us.

Lyle and I are really looking forward to meeting him. I am also looking forward to not being pregnant. I guess there has always been a countdown to my due date; but lately I swear I am counting down minutes. I have begun to understand that there must be a purpose to you being pregnant for 9 months; it makes you look forward to labor.

Things have just been uncomfortable. I am sick of not being able to move well, I am sick of all the "cute" maternity clothes, and I am sick of being hot all the time (usually I am sick of being cold so maybe this is a pleasant change). All the bitching aside things are still going well healthwise. I has another doctor's appt yesterday and blood pressure is doing well, Keegan seems to be doing well. I have been having some trouble with edema; which translates to more weight gain, water retention, a poofier face, and stupid swollen ankles. Thankfully it doesn't really cause any "real" health problems. I also had the pleasure I having my first Braxton Hicks contractions on Tuesday night. That was obnoxious because it woke me up and woke Keegan up. Apparently Keegan found the whole experience as discomforting as I did because he vigorously squirmed around for a good 2 hrs after the contractions.

Lyle went and got the carseat installation inspected at the fire station yesterday; it's installed correctly now and we are good to go. We put together the baby bouncer Tues night; so the cats have a fun new toy to play with until Keegan gets here! I also finally got around to putting together the hospital bags for both me and Keegan. We got some cute outfits in there for him. I still need to add some stuff in the bag for me. For some reason I am just reluctant to finish that up. All in all I think we are as ready for his arrival as we can be given what we know about being parents; which is nothing :-)

So now we are just waiting. I am out of school now so there is more free time. I've been able to fill some of that with video games, reading, getting baby announcements ready, fun stuff like that. I think the house is as clean as it can be and all the closets/kitchen have been reorganized to allow for baby items. Now, we wait until Keegan decides to arrive! I am not very good at waiting. I told Keegan that he needs to stay put another couple weeks and then he can feel free to join us any time he's ready :-)

All the paperwork for my work is in order, and we went through the birthing plan with the doctor yesterday. She thinks everything looks reasonable. We definitely aren't asking a lot in the birthing plan. Mainly the big issues were that I want the baby with us and breastfeeding right away. We've decided not to circumcise and Lyle wants to help cut the umbilical cord. Apparently all of these choices are standard now. As far as all the details of pain management and ambiance; I figure that we'll figure that out when we get there because I don't really know how things are going to go ahead of time.

Okay well that's enough babbling from me.

No comments: