Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Things Keegan comes up with when tired...

This weekend we went camping at Itasca State Park. Pics to follow in the next posting. This posting is about something funny that happened in the aftermath.

We got home from camping and my Anatomy book that I got from Amazon Vine was on the porch. Very cool book...tons of neat pictures of bones, muscles, veins, nerves and arteries.

Keegan sat down to look at it with me and we looked at the legs and arms (skipping the section on genitals). Half an hour later Keegan collapses into a chair in tears yelling about all "the blue lines on his feet hurting him!" Lyle and I were confused..not relating the two things initially.

You need to understand that during camping Keegan gets to stay up late and he doesn't nap very well because he is just too tired. On the way home he never took a nap in the car and, being that this was the night that we got home from camping, he was exhausted. Keegan gets weird when he is exhausted, he makes strange connections with things he knows and gets freaked out by them.

I got him to calm down and then asked him to show me the "blue lines on his feet that are hurting him." He takes his socks off and points to the veins in his feet and says "Mom, I don't like these blue lines all over my feet, can we get rid of them?" I asked him why he wanted to get rid of them and he said "Well they let me feel pain and I don't like to hurt." We explained that he was confusing veins with nerves and that the blue lines were veins and that he needed them to help move his feet.

He thought about this and then said "Can we get rid of my nerves?" We told him that wasn't a good idea either because then he couldn't feel anything. I gave him a hug and asked him if he liked that, he said "Yep, hugs feel good." I was like, well if you like to feel hugs you need your veins and nerves.

Then the panic over the blue lines in his feet subsided and we were able to put his socks back on. It was very odd.

1 comment:

Sistertex said...

Kind of reminds me of Keegan's mother at his age. Never really knew what to expect next...ummm still don't.