Thursday, August 26, 2010

The mind of a three year old...

Keegan has been having trouble deciding on extra-curriculars.  He wants to do everything, but we won't let him do more than one or two things at a time...because we just don't need an overbooked three year old on our hands.

So a couple weeks ago I told him he had three more swimming lessons left and then we would take fall session off so he could do something else.  His response "I want to keep swimming.  I don't want to do ice skating, I want to keep swimming."  He was adamant about it and almost in tears at the thought of halting his beloved swimming lessons. So I said "Okay I will sign you up."  $200 some dollars later he is signed up for Littles 2 swimming lessons.  Then I remember the other reason we skip sessions it is because it is so freaking expensive.

Fast forward to last night.  I pick Keegan up.  "Mommy, do I have to go to swimming?"  I tell him yes he does, it is his second to last session and darn-nit he is going to finish up these last two lessons.  He complains and whines about how he hates swimming.  I am thinking "Geez, we just signed him up for another whole session of it!"  He stomps into the swimming school with his arms crossed and his face all pouty.

Finally Lyle and are are like "Dude, why do you hate swimming all of the sudden?"

Keegan: "I don't like doing the Humpty Dumptys"
Me: "What don't you like about Humpty Dumptys?  When you go under water?  When you swim back? When you jump in?"
Keegan: "WWeeellllll....I uh, don't like sitting down to fall in the water?"
Me: "Have you asked your teacher if you can jump standing up?"
Keegan: "WWeeeellll, maybe Humpty Dumptys are okay."
Me: "Okay, so then why don't you like swimming?"
Keegan: "Well swimming is okay I guess."

Keegan proceeds to have a great time in swimming class.  He tells his teacher he would like to stand and jump into the pool instead of sitting to fall in.  She thinks it's a great idea and lets him.  Then it is after class.

Me: "So how did you like swimming?"
Keegan: "It was fun mom, I love swimming!"
Me: "So you like swimming?"
Keegan: "Yep!"

Then what was all that complaining about?  I am confused.

A similar thing happened with soccer lessons.  For a fee Keegan can attend soccer lessons at daycare once a week.  Last week was his last session, so we had to sign him up for 4 more lessons if he was going to attend this week.  Not wanting to waste money on something he hates we had the below conversation.
Me: "How do you like soccer?"
Keegan: "I hate it, I don't want to do it anymore."
Me: "But you loved it last week.  Do you want me to sign you up for more lessons?"
Keegan: "NO, I never want to do again."

Okay...so I email the soccer teacher and let him know that Keegan will be sitting out this session.  Time passes, now it is Tuesday, the day before normal Wed soccer, which Keegan will not be attending. 

Keegan: "I get to do soccer tomorrow right?"
Me: "No you said you didn't want to so we canceled your lessons."
Keegan: "Why are you so mean to me?"
Me: "Do you want to do soccer now?"
Keegan: "I love soccer, I am not talking to you anymore, you are so mean to me, why did you make me stop!"
Me: "Umm...so you want to sign up for more soccer?"
Keegan: "What did I tell you?!  I told you I love soccer!"

Me: "Maybe you should talk to you dad about soccer when we get home."

Then Keegan had a similar conversation with Lyle in which Lyle was a "mean person" for not letting Keegan play soccer.  Geez, I can't keep up with the kid's sudden changes.  If this is a premonition of what he is going to be like as a teenager shoot me now!

So I e-mailed his soccer teacher to let him know Keegan has had a change of heart and he should pick up Keegan for soccer lessons.  I went online to purchase more sessions; their website was down.  I e-mailed his teacher to let him know that really we were going to pay for more sessions, but we couldn't because their website is down.  I check over and over, finally two hours later (9pm) it is up and running and we are golden.  Keegan has his soccer lessons reinstated...I am exhausted by all this changing and all of this emotional trauma we are apparently putting my son through. 

So you guys tell me does this get better or worse as they get older....???

3 comments:

Sistertex said...

Ahhh...motherhood!
Love you,
Mom

babybuff said...

Fun times....

Karissa E said...

The thing I can't get over is all the drama, Keegan is just such a drama King sometimes...