Sunday, September 14, 2008

Update on Biking

So they have started blocking blogger at my work which means I won't be writing anymore lunchtime updates.

Still I thought I would do a quick update on how the biking is going. Lyle and I usually do the carpool/bike combo 2-3 times a week. This is pretty good considering I only work 4 days a week. Unfortunately the last couple weeks it's been more like 1-2 because I have been having to get into work early and staying a bit late. I try to make up for this by going out for a 6-10 mile bike ride at night after Keegan goes down for bed. It's been starting to get kind of dark though; so last weekend we went out and got head and tail lights for the bikes.

Now that we have been biking 12 miles a day for 2-3 days a week there are some things that I have learned that I never thought about before:
- Bike shorts are really nice as they reduce the bruising to my tail bone
- Bike jerseys are awesome bcs I and put my ipod in the back pocket there-by eliminating the funny ipod shaped tan on my arm (from using an sports armband).
- Be careful about opening your mouth; unless you want a high protein snack of dubious quality
- A 10-15 mph wind is a lot of wind; especially when you are riding against it up steep hills.
- Your body is a lot like a windshield; at least where bugs are concerned. When riding at night you will come home with gnats smashed on your face and torso.
- Riding in 96 degree heat really isn't that bad if there's a good breeze.
- Riding in 45 degree weather sucks when you are going 14 mph on your bike; you need gloves and ear covers as well as long pants.
- After riding in 45 degee weather for 6 miles it can be hard to get your body to separate from the bike frame
- Riding in the fog is weird and covers all of your exposed arm hairs with a fine layer of moisture.
- Eventually, at some point, you will be passed on the bike trail by some 85 yr old who is biking twice as fast as you and deflates any sense of pride you have that you cut 5 minutes off of your commute time from last week.

So as mentioned above, 45 degrees is d$% cold on a bike. Lyle and I finally broke down and bought cold weather cycling gloves and brightly colored jackets; as well as head and tail lights. We also bought a cycle trainer. I used the cycle trainer the first times a couple days ago. It worked pretty awesome. It was easy to set up (at least for me, Lyle set it up) and you just plop you bike on it and off you go. It was way more comfortable than the stationary bike we have in the workout room. There are only two large problems with it: you get really hot because you are not generating any breeze like you do outside and I tend to bike a lot faster because that's all I have to concentrate on and end up getting tired a lot quicker. But so far I like it, not as much as riding outside, but it's better than not riding at all.

I haven't really lost much weight from biking. Maybe a couple of pounds, but my endurance is a lot better and I notice that my jeans are looser in the butt and thighs so something must be going on. I still love that the biking doesn't hurt my knees. So, for now, biking is good!

No comments: