Monday, December 13, 2010

Making cookies

What do you do when there are a billion feet of snow outside and there are -30oF windchills? Well you do some shoveling that's for sure.  On Saturday there was also some present wrapping, Nerf gun fights, and a Dance Dance Revolution tutorial for my almost 4 year old son.  Then Saturday night we went over to my parents (only a couple miles away) and watched movies, played board games, and had pizza.

But now it is Sunday...it is too darn cold to do anything outside so what did we do?  Well...after the car racing, more Nerf gun fights, contest to see who can shoot down more Galactic Hero figurines with the Nerf gun, some housework, and some Lego building.  We decided to make sugar cookies...with icing and sprinkles.

This meant we need to take a quick trip to Target to get supplies.  One of which was butter flavored shortening...I am not a shortening person, but I was willing to give it a try to make perfect sugar cookies.

We forgot to take pictures of the doing, but we got some of the aftermath.  Keegan help me cut out shapes, Lyle did the oven baking coordination.  Then we all chipped in with the decorating.

Keegan started out as the sprinkler of sprinkles, but was making a huge mess.  After seeing I was getting frustrated with him, he suggested he be the icing spreader.  Well I was dubious, but he actually did a wonderful job spreading icing.  Eventually Keegan and Lyle were both icing and I was the sprinkler...I am picky about my sprinkle uniformity...

We decided to flavor the icing so the green had a little mint extract adding, the pink some almond extract, and the blue some orange extract.  The orange flavoring was definitely the yummiest, but Lyle enjoyed the mint ones a lot too.  See pictures below.

 The froster extraordinare

Tired Karissa cleaning up the aftermath (let me tell you all that shoveling really takes it out of you!)

The sprinkles only cookies.

The Lyle and Keegan frosted ones up close.

The frosted ones.

The icing aftermath....

The biggest thing we learned from this is that...it takes a lot of time and is a lot of work...oh and Keegan is a really great froster :-)


No comments: